Topband: Confessions of A Known Criminal

Bill Hohnstein KØHA k0ha@navix.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:15:56 -0600

> I basically did the same thing Tom did and I have a list of over 40 calls
> who I heard below 1843 who I refused to work then or later once they moved
> up...I will be glad to provide a copy of my list of stations heard "out of
> band plan" to any one who requests it on a private email basis...

I expected the "police" to be out in force for the contest...

I didn't call CQ below 1843.
I didn't call people from the United States or Canada below 1843.
I DID answer the DX stations that were listening below 1843.

I support having the FCC define a cw band on 160M.  However, "gentleman's
agreements" don't work during contests.  Some people had lead "normal lives"
and informally enter operate in contests for the fun of it ("The rules will
probably be about the same as last year").  Now they have people putting
"Scarlet Letters" on their chests!  If activity was down this year as it appeared
to be during my limited time on, I suspect that some people who knew about
the situation were too paranoid about the consequences to get on.  Those
who have been too concerned about things other than ham radio probably
got scared off by "the police" after getting on.  Asking people who haven't
"shook on the deal" to follow a gentleman's agreement is doomed to fail.

The TopBand has lost some of its uniqueness for me.

        73,  Bill     K0HA
(with my tail between my legs)