Topband: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?

n0tt1@juno.com n0tt1@juno.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:27:32 +0000

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:26:26 -0800 "Richard Karlquist"
<richard@karlquist.com> writes:
> I am wondering if anyone has used
> the MFJ power line noise receiver
> that came out last year.
/snip/

Hi Rick,

I can relate to that!!  I have used one of those MFJ devices.

As a noise receiver it worked very well, but I found that the
telescoping dipole is almost useless for pin pointing noise
in areas where there are many service connections.  In
other words the noise can seem to come from a number of
sources (an it often does).  another thing about the MFJ...
wear headphones because the weaker noise sources will
not deflect the meter.

I would suggest building a 3-el beam, such as the one described
in QST...think the article was named "A noise sniffer that works".

I tried one of those Radio Shack aircraft band radios and found that the
"hiss" from the radio was just unbearable...no hiss from the
MFJ unit.

I made two modifications to my MFJ unit:

--Installed an external antenna jack and a switch to select either
the dipole or a external antenna.

--Installed a red LED behind the meter for easy nighttime viewing
of the meter.  Another switch controls the  LED.

73,
Charlie, N0TT

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:26:26 -0800 "Richard Karlquist"
<richard@karlquist.com> writes:
> I am wondering if anyone has used
> the MFJ power line noise receiver
> that came out last year.  I don't