Topband: SA - Little Pistol 160 Contest Experience (yv5mbx)

Plasticos Omega jlopez at plasticosomega.com
Mon Jan 27 12:49:30 EST 2003

Hi,

After carefully reading all the communications related to the DX-window and the comments about the last week-end contest I would like to post my little contribution that I hope could help some of the dx'ers subscribed to this list:

Dec, Jan & Feb are the coldest months in the SA countries that are located over the equatorial line. In Venezuela we have absolutely clear skies so due the lack of clouds the temp goes down in the evening below normal values (up to 12°c), but unfourtunately there are not so many Low-Band Dxers.

The propagation last week-end was amazing specifically after 04 GMT.

This was my first try in a cw contest and I was so happy instead a relative low score also I want to make public the invaluable help of some of the subscribers of this list that helped me to finish the 160 mts setup just few days before the test.

In the specific case of Venezuela the cw examination requirements for the all bands/ all modes certification requires only 5 wpm, because of this there is a very small set of cw operators. Those operators (most of them little pistols) are trying to improve their cw just as contribution of the development of this amazing activity.

I´m telling this because I feel how some DX stations refused to slow down the speed after answer my call so some of the QSO were uncompleted and removed from the log (my average speed is 10 wpm). I think that the stations have to employ a little more time hearing and trying to pick-up weak signals that could be the difference in terms of multipliers.

For the operators in this area of the world will be excellent the presence of a Dx window.

Hope to hear you in the CQ 160 SSB!!!!

73's
Javier
YV5MBX