Topband: Antenna Analyzers

ABowenN4OO abowen at nettally.com
Wed Nov 19 09:40:41 EST 2003

In Compendium 7, there is a very comprehensive article by AC6LA, "T-Time
For The Analyzers".

He evaluated 4 devices: MFJ 259B, Autek RF 1 and VA 1, AEA CIA-HF.

A summary of his results showed that the 259B had the smallest margin of
error and the VA 1 had the largest margin of error. Before drawing any
overall conclusions, one should read the article, study the charts and read
the bibliography. Each device has advantages and disadvantages.

I own the 259B and the Autek RF 1. I find the resistance and SWR
measurements in fairly close agreement. Reactance is another matter. The
numbers I measure are not accurate enough to design matching networks. I
subsequently constructed a sort of universal L/C network (plugs, jacks and
jumpers) that I take to the base of the vertical or the end of a
transmission line. I then adjust the network for 1:1 SWR, measure the
values of L and C with the RF 1 and construct the network. It works every
time provided the operator does not make some dumb mistake such as a poor
connection to ground.

INK N4OO