Topband: Budget Rig Performance ?.

Steve Ireland sire at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 28 14:58:32 EST 2003

At 10:12 PM 26/11/2003 -0000, you wrote:
G'day Paul

With regard to a 'budget rig' for 160, 80 and 40, there are a couple of
good cheap older radios, which have good strong signal performance, are
nice to use and easy to find secondhand.

Much of my first 100 countries worked on 160m was done using either a
Kenwood TS830S (with external VFO) or an Icom IC-751A.  Both radios were
fitted with 500Hz CW filters in the first and second IFs.

The IC-751A is the more expensive of the two, but would be my choice.  If
you look at W8JI's receiver measurements section of his website, you can
see that the IC--751A's performance is up there with the best of the modern
radios (and it is an excellent rig for the high bands as well).

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ