Topband: HS72B

Milt Jensen n5ia at zia-connection.com
Wed Dec 8 10:20:15 EST 2004

I haven't been real diligent at the morning window for HS72 B due to other
committments.  I probably missed the best opportunity last week when the AZ
staions made the trip.  However, I did put in four mornings with just a
whisper discerned on one of those.

Yesterday there was not a whisper.  This morning there was not a whisper
until suddenly at 1356 there the signal was coming up out of the noise and
heard only on the ZL direction antenna.

I called during one over and got no response.  KH6ZM was the only other
caller.  On the next over I got a "i  i  ?  ?".  Called again and he came
back with my callsign and gave me a report of 559 at 1358.  I followed with
my report but received the "QSB agn" at 1400.  I gave my report again and
received a "CFM" at 1402.  HS72B was a true 559 on the ZL antenna and heard
weakly towards the west with the VK3/KH6 and VK6 antennas.

I continued to listen after my Q was complete and there were many callers.
HS72B responded to no one else.

Sunrise at my location was 1415.  His signal was now being heard on all
Beverage antennas from ZL to KL7.  On each over after a CQ sequence, many
stations were calling.  All were apparently hearing HS72B quite well as they
would cease calling within 5 seconds after he started a CQ sequence again.

At 1418 the signal was considerably better on the JA antenna.  At 1425 he
was copiable but a bit weaker on the JA, KL7 and VE6 (directly north)
antennas and hardly discernable on the ZL antenna and not at all of the
western looking antennas.

At 1428 his signal was fading quickly and copiable at 339.  At 1430, 15
minutes after sunrise, there was only a whisper of a signal.

I hope this report of my experience will help some of the other deserving
make the trip in the last few days of the HS72B operation.

Milt, N5IA