Topband: DX windows from a DX perspective

Steve Ireland sire at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 2 20:58:16 EST 2004

G'day all

It has been interesting reading the discussion about DX windows.  As W8JI
says, many of the same old arguments have come out.  However, this is one
of those discussions we probably need to have every now and again, as it is
an item of strong and perennial interest....

When conditions are good - whether in a 160m DX contest or just carrying
day-to-day 160m operation - it is nice for me, as "DX' to most 160m ops, to
be able to run stations rather than answer CQ calls.  That way, I can give
out more QSOs and work more stations running low power/with relatively poor
antennas, who don't have big signals.

A DX window of some sort helps with this, as my signals are seldom strong
in the high population areas of Europe or North America - both over 10,000
km away - unless the station receiving them has a REALLY good rx antenna
system.

When conditions are bad and true DX signals are really weak - as in the
recent Stew Perry TBDC - 'search and pounce' is the only way for me to
operate.  As N6TR says, under these circumstances, a DX window isn't much
help as most people aren't going to notice me CQing and running a pile-up
when signals are 339 both ways is pretty hopeless.

When conditions are good, as N6TR also says, this window does give DX
stations (like me) an advantage in a contest and make life easier for us.
However, not all DXers who stray onto the topband are dedicated 160m
operators and if NA and Eu operators want to see as much DX as possible on
the band, some kind of 'game reserve' for the less lowband-hardened
(gun-shy) DX stations is a good idea.

As the sunspots fall off more and more, I think the old 1830 - 35 DX window
is going to be pretty useful for DX stations whose frequency allocation
permits them to use it, such as VK/ZL stations.

If stations from areas of high population density stay out of this window
for CQing purposes, they stand far more chance of being able to find DX
stations such as myself using it and, consequently, to work these stations.

Just commonsense, I guess.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ