Topband: Using DSP Software

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Jan 2 17:54:43 EST 2004

Last week I sent S9SS a .wav file of his booming signal into North
America on topband.  I tried to put myself in his shoes with the awesome
QRN level he experiences.  On the tape were periods of very high QRN at
my end and I wanted to clean up the files that I sent him a bit.  I had
a 30 free evaluation copy of Cool Edit and began playing around with the
digital noise reduction features and audio peak and notch features.  I
was absolutely amazed at what could be done with the signal in noise
using this over the counter software. I sent Charles two .wav files of
his signal.  One was in noise without processing and the other sounded
like he was coming out of a code practice oscillator!  Also I download
the free version of Virtos  Software ( a German Company) "De-Clicker"
and "De- Noiser" which can be run with either Cool Edit or Sound Forge
audio processing software.  (Sound Forge is available on e-Bay for under
$10 and can be used in the same manner as Cool Edit or Cool Edit Pro.
Syntillium (Cool Edit) was recently purchased by Adobe so the price has
increased significantly.) With "De Clicker" key click are gone without
the roofing and pumping problem my IF NB gives.  The "De Noiser"
eliminates most random noise such as QRN that it makes me wonder if I am
listening to 160 meters which always has static crashes at my QTH.

I have not heard any discussion of the feasibility of running two sound
cards and achieving "real time" processor with using the ham shack
computer.  Indeed I could record and playback a processed signal  and
dig the call  out in  less than a half minute. But that time lag would
not be feasible in a pile up or during contests.

So you already know my question, right.  Do you know of any audio
processing software that will do a relative real time presentation?  The
preliminary tests with the simple stuff that I have are very exciting.
Additionally I will send you the two 750KB .wav files of Charles so you
can hear the awesome difference.  Perhaps someone would be willing to
put them on an amateur web site so I would only need to send out the
link.  Just let me know.

BTW SGC offers a stand alone post audio amp DSP that was reviewed in QST
last month.  It did not seem very versatile and the reviewer said "that
using the noise reduction feature caused the signal to disappear in the
noise."  My ear does better than that.  Is there a future in considering
using the shack PC and inexpensive sound processing software to enhance
weak signal in high static noise reception on top band?

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ