Topband: 2 Wire Beverage Feedpoint Matching

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Fri Jan 9 16:47:16 EST 2004

It’s a good advice if RF transformers for this application are wound as multifilar windings, interleaving wires, each winding covering all the available core space, side to side with the others.
If for example the primary is 8 turns and the secondary 32 turns, there will be 5 windings on the transformer. In practice, the primary is one of the 8 turns windings, while the 32 turns of the secondary are composed by the sum of the other 4 windings, consisting each one of 8 turns (end of one section has to be connected with the beginning of the following).
Turns number are function of desired frequency (band), core permeability and size.
Note that turn ratio is a parameter relative to voltage (or currents), the transformer impedance will be transformed accordingly with this, but into another factor.
In case an impedance step up of 2.6 is needed, the required turn ratio is 1.6, not 2.6.
Looking at your application, T1 could be a four wires, one winding for primary and three windings (actually 2.6) for secondary. If primary is 8 turns secondary is three 8 turn windings, the third one tapped at the 5th turn
T4 could be 1:1.6 ratio transformer double secondary, one winding primary, one and a half secondary (actually 1.6). If primary is 8 turns, secondary is two 8 turns windings, the second tapped at the 5th turn. Watch out the secondary output must be out of phase.
The above transformers for beverage applications are not critical, slight changes in turn ratios to avoid fractions of turns are perfectly acceptable.

73,
Mauri I4JMY