Topband: Col-atch-co 160/80 meter antenna

Dave Anderson, K4SV K4SV1 at charter.net
Fri Jan 9 19:23:12 EST 2004

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of making a portable antenna for Dxpeditions for 160/80 meters and came accross the Col-atch-co vertical.  I have used a portable antenna with a coil at the bottom and loading wires as part of the guys.  This Col-atch-co antenna has the loading coil on the top. For you whom are not familier with this type of antenna, it has loading wires for 160 AND 80 meters.

If I were to build either antenna it would be about as much work, but wonder if anyone has used the Col-atch-co antenna and knows how well it works.

I am interested to know if the top loaded vs bottom loading type of antenna is prefered.

Thanks in advance,

Dave, K4SV
Asheville, NC