Topband: Inverted-L

Chuck Sudds chuck at dxham.net
Wed Jan 14 23:33:49 EST 2004

Greetings!

I thought that I would take advantage of this warm Midwestern weather and
install an Inverted-L antenna for 160M and I had a couple questions for you
experienced antenna builders.

I plan to run the vertical portion up my Rohn 45G tower to about the 80ft
level and then horizontal for 80-95ft.  I have approximately 125 of
horizontal space available.  Would the antenna perform better by extending
the horizontal portion as far as I can (125ft) or should I keep the entire
thing at the tried and true 160-175ft total length?  I had planned to use
RG-213 as a series capacitor to off-set any added reactance by doing this.

How far from the tower, realistically, do I need to be for the vertical
element?

Sorry but I do not have an antenna analyzer so I will have to do it the old
fashioned way, with an SWR bridge.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, in advance.

Chuck  KØTVD
Missouri Valley, Iowa