Topband: Connectors for top band use

by way of Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> W2pm at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 12:53:10 EST 2004

I never thought I'd be concerned about RF connectors at 160 but I have
recently discovered the hard way that those crimp on Radio Shack PL259's
are quite unsatisfactory as they do not provide for a solid, dc shield
contact.

Here in suburban northern NJ I have made a small career of 160 noise
abatement with several sense antennas for my MFJ1025 and several mini flags
and pennants and a mag loop or two. However we're having a very cold and
very dry winter making the ambient noise level quite high. On inspection
after many frustrating evenings trying to listen thru the local crud I
found intermittent readings on my rx antennas - all attributable to those
damn little connectors.  When the shield isn't solidly connected the
imbalance caused makes the difference between S9 level crud and comfortable
listening. SWR on the flags goes from more than 3:1 to less than 1.2:1 when
the connector is properly seated. The physical connection despite feeling
"solid" is just not so.

I do not use crimp on connectors myself but purchased lengths of rg58 with
those connectors installed from Radio Shack but am completing the
replacement of the connectors with good quality Amphenols now.