Topband: reliable contact among mast sections

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:04:59 EST 2004

If you have hot-dip galvanised sections, there is no need to electrically
bond the sections, according to the Rohn tower company.  I have used a Rohn
25G tower as a vertical for nearly 20 years without a problem, and I have
seen numerous broadcast towers using 25G and 45G, and have never seen any
external electrical bonding.  This should hold true for any galvanised mast.
  If you are doubtful, I would suggest running several strands of heavy
gauge galvanised wire in parallel with the mast for its entire length.  If
the mast is zinc-coated, avoid copper wire at all costs, since zinc and
copper will corrode and turn into a crude battery cell/diode rectifier upon
contact with water.

Don K4KYV