Topband: Re: Low Rx Dipole on Topband

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 12:06:10 EDT 2004

>Someone on these pages said this week that you can never have TOO MANY Rx
>antennas for 160M - I would agree with that assessment.  You just NEVER
>know what
>will work best when listening on Topband......

Several years ago I built a K6STI "low-noise" horizontal rx loop (see QST
Sept 95).  It turned out to be a dud 90 % of the time.  When I first tried
it, I thought it had been a total waste of time, but I find it gives
superior s/n ratio for stations 100-150 miles away.  Occasionally, but
rarely, it outperforms the beverage with certain signals.  I have all my
available rx antennas on a rotary coax swith, and for every QSO, I always
rotate the switch and check out all the antennas for best signal.  Sometimes
the best one is totally unexpected.  When in a "roundtable" QSO, I often
switch among various antennas as each station transmits.  Still, for
Canadian and European reception the NNE terminated beverage is nearly always
the best one.

Don k4kyv