Topband: HF2V update

DAVID CUTHBERT DAVIDNNAN at MSN.COM
Thu Feb 3 23:23:08 EST 2005

Thanks to all of you who sent me valuable information on the HFV2. I have the 160/80/40 meter model working and the coil losses dialed in. I am beginning to like this antenna. This is preliminary but on 160 meters it looks to be as efficient as a plain old base inductance loading as long as the ground system resistance is 10 ohms or more. Now, top load this thing with horizontal spokes and a top coil, and the gain increases 5 dB- given a ground loss of 10 ohms. The radiation efficiency rises from 10% to 30%. I will investigate the standard Butternut top hat tomorrow. There really isn't too much out there for top band and the Butternut HFV2 fills a real need.

   Dave     wx7g