Topband: Support Lines Crossing ABOVE 14KV Lines

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Tue Feb 22 20:37:04 EST 2005

Dick wrote:

...snip...

> ...SAFE way to install an antenna system where a support line crosses way above
> such lines?

...snip...

> Any suggestions other than paying for buried lines across the front of my
> property?
>
> 73 Dick - w7wkr  CN98pi
> Stehekin, WA

Dick,

14kV is nothing to play with.  Any you are correct in assuming that non-conducting lines are of questionable non-conductivity over time.  The buried lines are not that big a deal.  I had all my lines buried here and the whole ticket price was $500 for 3 runs totalling about 600'.  Remember, the power company replaces all power lines to the meter at no cost.

The bottom line?  DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, RUN GUY SUPPORTS OVER 14KV POWER LINES!!!

You will regret the day you fail to heed this dire warning!  Safety first my friend...

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com