Topband: Elevated vertical next to beverage

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Mon Jul 4 19:39:06 EDT 2005

I am installing an elevated 80M vertical next to my 160M 1wL beverage antenna (like within 75').  It's the only place I can locate it on the property that makes sense.  Having played with other antennas near my 160M bi-directional beverage, I know that this one is going to ruin my otherwise good pattern on the beverage, which I cannot move.

Previously, I had a ground mounted antenna within 50' of the beverage.  Removing the antenna did not help.  I had to disconnect the buried radials to get the pattern to return to normal.  So now I have a conundrum.  Do I install relays at the antenna so that the entire system can be disconnected when I operate 160M?  The antenna and it's radials are to be elevated 8' above ground, which ON4UN states is about as good as it gets (2.5 meters).  4 radials will be used--two of which will be within feet of the beverage.  Even though I will be able to disconnect (open) the antenna remotely, do I have to also be able to remotely disconnect the radials too?

Anybody have previous experience with this?

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com