Topband: 2006 Resolutons

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 10 09:17:04 EST 2006

         The following was recently posted by Tom K1KI
on the CQ-Contest list, but it equally applies here:

"I'd like to ask that each of you, especially those
of you who post a lot of messages, to take the time
to think about each message you send and make sure
it will have enough value to such a large mailing
list, or whether your comments might be best directed
to individuals (or contest sponsors) instead.  I hope
we can see more quality and less quantity (especially
the one-line messages)."

         Topband actually has more subscribers
(1350 versus 1150) so we need to follow Tom's
suggestions even more closely.  This means:

1.  Being careful not to reply to the list when
you mean to an individual only.  I catch many
but not all of these.

2.  Not top-posting.  If you don't know what
that means, please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

This isn't up for debate...it's simply the way it is.
Top-posts are automatically deleted so don't do
it if you intend your post to go to the entire list.

3.  Staying On Topic which means 160 info only.
Just in the past few days I've deleted posts about:

Which filters for my FT-1000MP?
Where can I find parts for my FT-1000D?
I need help with my 40 meter 4-square.
Tower grounding suggestions (i.e. lightning)
etc, etc, etc.

Yes we have many knowledgeable people
here, but that doesn't mean Off-Topic posts are
appropriate.  If ever you find yourself writing
"This is probably off-topic but..." please save
your time and mine.  There are plenty of rig
specific lists, Towertalk, etc. that are much more
appropriate for questions like the above.  Per
our guidelines:

"Minimize noise, minimize bandwidth, maximize
160 information, act like gentlemen and enjoy! "