Topband: RM 11305/11306

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Jan 10 23:52:42 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis at verizon.net>

> The Communications Think Tank proposal, based on the first
> 7 pages of 16 having been read, is less clear as to what it
> wants.  Among other things, it comments about discouraging
> (or is it disallowing?) split operation for DX.  It will
> require a bit of study to find what I suspect are old pitfalls
> in this one.

Jim,

I think if you go back a reread the paragraph referring to split
operation you will see that they were addressing the 40 meter
phone problem where you have to operate split whether you
want to or not.  They don't say that explicitly, but I am pretty
certain that is the issue they were trying to address. IOW, if
you get rid of the mode/bandwidth segmentation boundaries,
then stations in region 2 could call region 1 and region 3 stations
directly via simplex on the low end of 40 meters instead of via
split frequency as is commonly done now. I don't think they
were suggesting that split operation could not be done if
desired (e.g. for pileup control, etc).

73 de Mike, W4EF