Topband: Bidirectional vs 2 simple Beverage antennas

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 11 09:23:46 EST 2006

Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> wrote:but
since I must install and remove most of my Beverages each
season over agricultural fields , I decided to stay with
single Beverages for simplicity reasons.Bill's  comment matches my experience. When you have to install/remove every  season, it's nice to minimize the amount of effort invloved. I have  resisted trying a two wire bi-directional Beverage just because of it's  complexity.
  Reliability is another issue. I can't even keep a pair of end-fire  phased Beverages running for a full season. With eight Beverages up, I  will always have some problem, but the single wire - single direction  Beverages have simpler problems. In this area at least, one needs to  consider winter weather troubleshooting and repair. The best technical  solution is not always the best practical solution.

  73,

  Larry - W7IUV
  DN07dg - central WA
  http://w7iuv.com