Topband: TopBand Beacons

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 09:57:38 EST 2006

Reading all this commotion about "RX beacon" makes me wonder.

Why don't we go for proven, tested and working well NCDXA/IARU beacon system
used on high bands?
It takes very little space, multiple beacons on the same frequency, various
power levels and it WORKS!

We can adapt it to 160 by putting it on 1800.5, it would also serve as a band
edge marker.
Power levels can be increased to max 500 W and then the similar dB steps down
as NCDXA beacons have. Use the same antennas at all locations, top loaded
omni verticals.
Locations would be preferably somewhere on the coast or close to salt water
to enhance performance and be the "leading edge" of what is coming from the
continent (like VO1 and W4).
Anyone can listen anywhere, all the time and this would be the sane solution
satisfying wide range of ham population, SWLs etc.
Not much is going on 1800, it is the (worst) lower edge propagation wise, so
if you hear it there, with your power level, you should be able to QSO.
It would be excellent tool for studying propagation, automated recording and
alerts of weird openings and standard of signal comparison and for testing
antennas.
I and Tesla RC will be willing to put up one at our new QTH in Bayville, NJ
www.TeslaRadio.org
Using 500W solid state amps should be no problem, we need higher power level
on 160 than what they use on high bands due to the nature of the band and
antenna limitations. We don't need no stinkin' Internet, jus' use our radios.

I think this would solve our "problems" be an excellent tool to have more fun
on the TopBand. Any problems or objections to the above?

Yuri, K3BU.us
pres. Tesla RC N2EE, NT1E