Topband: Relays in RX array

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Mar 22 10:59:03 EST 2006

> Tom wrote:
>
>> I use regular 1-2 amp sealed DIP relays, and never once have
>> had a problem despite having dozens of relays in the signal path.
----------

Agreed -- and as an additional note, many relays are designed for a slight
wiping action as they make contact.  I use the Tyco (OEG) OMI series for
this reason -- they are sealed and have wiping action.  I use the OJE series
for SPST switching.  You might think relays with 5 to 10 amp ratings are
overkill for receive -- and you'd be right!  I use them because they are
cheaper than the lower-rated types.

Equivalents include the OMRON G2R series and Tyco (Potter & Brumfield) RT
series.  I think the Magnecraft 976 series is also the same, and I've seen
other brands using the same physical construction.

When in doubt, buy a sample and cut it open -- that's what I did when
evaluating relays for my equipment.

73, Gary
K9AY