Topband: LBOW & WAS

Milt, N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Fri Mar 31 09:22:07 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford at cmgate.com>

> There is no other band where a station can land a WAS on a single weekend.
> Topband is different.  Believe it or not, there are a great number of
> operators that challenge themselves to achieve this-or-that
> accomplishment.

> Ford-N0FP
> ford at cmgate.com

Ford, Rick and other,

This is one of the goals of our group at N7GP, each year for the ARRL 160
and the CQ 160 contests.  We have done it a number of times (all 50 in two
nights and sometimes in one night) but this past December was a special one.
We recently set a goal of quickness; ie. how quickly can 160 Meter WAS be
accomplished.  I believe this should be set as one of the "Contest within a
Contest" sidebar write-ups in Ford's QST report for the ARRL 160 Contest.

Anyway, this past December the N7GP station accomplished 160 Meter WAS (all
50) in 5 hours and 47 minutes.  We claim the world record for that
accomplishment and challenge all others to best it.

On the Sweep side of things, N7GP has gotten all but one a couple of times.
It seems that the Yukon section is quite elusive.  In 2004 when Richard
first accomplished the feat, N7GP was called by a Yukon station.  N7GP
responded and sent the exchange, but the Yukon station did not come back
with an exchange.  So our chance at a bit of historical trivia was that
close.  What happened?  Who knows.  Bootlegger?  Aurora?  Who really cares.
It is the fun of the chase, and the stories (good or bad) that we can tell
our grandkids.  Hi, hi!!!!!!!

73, and everyone have a good off season.  I will be looking for any and all
from the K7EAR Field Day operation, my only summertime outing.

Milt, N5IA, one of the ops at N7GP, NA5NM and K7EAR

OBTW, who will be the first do WAC (Counties, that is) on 160, both modes.
Now there is a challenge for the uninhibited!!!!!!!!!!!!