Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?

Raoul Coetzee raoulc at smmcape.co.za
Mon Jun 4 09:38:55 EDT 2007

__
>It seems to me that these figures, while not the best, are certainly not
>"awful", and are very respectable considering the difference in cost.
>Also, if you look carefully at Tom's test results, you will see that on
>his list, two rigs are essentially custom built, and several of the rigs
>that have better test results are simply flavors of the same model, i.e.
>the FT1000 MV with this or that mod.  Once you really look at the
>figures, the FT2000 is a respectable performer compared to many other
>radios, especially when you consider the cost.

>73,

>Bob/AA6VB

It is also important to note that not everybody lives in a high density
Amateur Radio area/country. Those lucky Amateurs would be very happy with
the radio, I suppose.
If you look at Tom's list after clicking on the 'sorted by IM3 'and looking
at no 5 on the list, this a "stock" FT1000MP MKV
WITHOUT an Inrad roofing filter but with  the very simple NB mod done.I have
done this easy to perform mod but I would still like to ask why is the radio
better without the Inrad roofing filter installed? Is it because of the
amplifier that is included? This report is the one reason I have not
considered the roofing filter, also,I live in a relatively low HAM
area.(About 5 in a mile radius and not very activey at all.)

Tom, have I lost the plot?
73
Raoul ZS1REC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.