Topband: Unusual Noise?

AD5VJ Bob rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 10 20:56:32 EST 2007

I am not sure what I am hearing so need some help identifying this noise on my coax on 160.

 The reason I say it is on my coax is this. I lost all my antennas but one (Butternut Butterfly Beam) to high winds about a week ago
when we had some really unusually high winds come through here.

So I have been looking at and thinking about better stronger antennas for the next batch I throw up there. My top band antenna was
my double bazooka tied together here in the shack as a T vertical going to the wire input of the tuner.

Today I took down the Butternut, because we are going to be moving soon. So I will wait to erect any antennas for about two weeks.

I noticed tonight however, after taking the Butternut down and going to TopBand just to see what things sounded like using the
"wire" antenna input at the tuner and the coax --- that I have a lot of noise on the coax itself it seems.

No signals, just a lot of white noise it seems coming in on the coax.

Now if I disconnect the coax at the rig the noise gets
 a lot lower almost cant hear any noise at all.

If I disconnect the coax from my "wire input" behind the tuner and just plug in the coax to the rig the noise stays loud like when I
have it going in the wire input to the tuner.

It would seem to me that this noise is coming in on the coax and may very well be the reason I have had such high noise levels and
not been able to hear the DX on 160 when other stations can.

Does anyone know what this noise is or how I can get rid of it???

  73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: BUR, LotW, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
Old calls: WY5L/KH3-KE5CTY-N5IET