Topband: Beverages and wire fences?

Jon Zaimes AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 09:51:53 EST 2008

Neil,

I have used numerous Beverages above various wire fences over the years,
and generally placed them 3 to 6 feet above the top of the fence. I now
have only one of these -- a look-alike (but nonfunctioning) electric
fence, and the top wire is about 4 feet above ground, serving as the
Beverage (about 1000 feet long) and two "dead" wires run below it --
with about  15-18 inches spacing. This works as good or better as a
10-foot high Beverage in the same direction that is nearly as long and
10 feet high, without any fence wires beneath it.

I think it was W9UCW who wrote an article in QST a few decades ago about
a Beverage in a situation similar to yours. If I recall correctly, he
used one of the middle wires for the Beverage.

I can't tell for sure from your photo, but if those are wooden or other
insulated posts, I'd be inclined to just use the existing top wire as
the Beverage if it's not grounded somewhere along the way.

73/Jon AA1K
www.aa1k.us