Topband: KG4 on topband

Tom McAlee tom at klient.com
Thu Apr 16 10:56:51 PDT 2009

A few days ago someone asked about getting KG4CN to 160.

Last night I overheard someone on 80 SSB ask him about 160.  He said he
tried but his antenna had problems and wasn't working very well.  He said he
would try again sometime but he was not hopeful.

A few hours later, around 0150Z, I went back in the shack and there he was
on 160 CW.  He was very loud in Virginia, about 20 over 9.  My amp hadn't
even kicked in yet and he easily copied me with 200w, although he did seem
to have trouble hearing many of the W/VE stations that were calling.

I'm not sure if that means the antenna is fixed or not, but I thought I'd
share what I heard.

73
Tom NI1N