Topband: Phasing line length

Lew Sayre w7ew at arrl.net
Wed Feb 10 09:42:40 PST 2010

A question for the group: Should I try to mess with the length of the
phasing lines?
The set-up: 2 1/4 wavelength 12ga wires up over the top of 2 tall fir trees,
each sitting over 60 1/4 wavelength radials. Mother Nature dictated that
these two trees are aimed endfire at EU but are 189 feet  (126 deg) long
rather than the desired 134.5 feet (90 deg) long.  I'm using a Comtek 2 vert
box with 1/4 phasing lines cut for 1.83. The dump power to the dummy load is
2-3 watts with 100w from the radio. The question is should I try to mess
with the length of the phasing lines or leave barely good enough alone?
After reading the ARRL Antenna book and perusing the Belgian's Bible it
appears that trying to fool with the length of the lines is an exercise I
don't want to do. I figure somebody out there in TopBand Land has muddled
through this question and might offer an opinion based upon their
experience.
     Band was nice from CN84 last night with ES1GO and UR0MC workable with
S5 signals and moderate QSB. TX4T had a very nice pile 5 down as he was
working through the faithful intermittently calling for EU.
   73 and I remain,
    Lew    W7EW/W7AT