Topband: ARRL 160 meter Contest Redux

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Dec 13 09:26:15 PST 2011

Tree, I don't mean to toss another grenade in the room but......I have
sent e mails to every CAC member  about the problems many have with the
structure of 160 meter DX Contest.  Only one member of the CAC gave me
the courtesy of a reply which basically said that the CAC no longer
calls the shots but that a new group called the PSC is in charge to
provide a layer of protection from any uncontrolled reaction by the CAC
contrary  to the wishes of HQ. So what used to be a contest structure
from the ground up has been reversed by executive fiat to come from the
top down.

Here is what I found out....  The PSC is supposed to "task" the CAC to
look into certain things. It appears the CAC can not act by their own
motion unless directed to do so.  The PSC is not made up of contestors
or DX-ers but rather ARRL Division Directors and Staff. So why should I
expect them to have any sensitivity to 160 meter operations and trying
to have a fair and equitable contest their.

My specific problem with the structure of the ARRL 160 contest is that
US Territories are relegated to a second class status where we are not
considered DX at all.  (For this contest KP2 is the same as location KP1
and KP4 is the same location as KP5) Neither KP1 nor KP5 have an ARRL
SCM or in fact neither have any population.  To argue they are not DX
for this only this contest alone for some unexplained reason is twisted
logic.

What is really strange is that the ARRL 10 meter Contest a week later  (
a very popular event) counts US Territories, KH6 and KL7 as DX, as they
should be.  What reasoning can support this inconsistency, i.e. the ARRL
has deemed these DX entities as non-DX for the 160 meter DX contest and
the opposite for the 10 meter contest.  Why?  The fact that nobody, I
repeat nobody, in this organization (which I am a member of) can come up
with an answer, or put it on the CAC agenda to fix is troubling. This
augers to being an indefensible mistake or at least a arbitrary and
capricious rule made by someone who was oblivious to the consequences. I
have never been able to find out who exactly at HQ 20 years ago came up
with this rule.

All they need to do is allow the U.S. Territories, KH6 and  KL7 DX
status. You know when you work them on 160 you have worked DX .The fact
that the ARRL staff and PSC appear totally detached to low band DXing
and Contesting and would even discuss the issue with you after a decade
of begging for correction really make me wonder.

Please help you fellow offshore topbanders and contact your favorite
ARRL nabob as ask him about this. Thanks!

73,

Herb Schoenbohm