Topband: Perimeter Elevated Ground System Wire?

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 20:23:45 PDT 2011

Gang,

I have a clear area about 31' by 31' to put up a short 160M vertical  this
Fall.  I am planning on putting up a 40' top loaded vertical in the  center
of this box with an elevated ground system 8' above the ground.  I  am
planning 4 radials to the corners of my box (which are only 22' long)  but I am
planning on attaching a perimeter wire connected to the  ends of the four
radials.

My question is whether a perimeter wire attached at the corners will  be
helpful, or should I use individual perimeter wires each connected to  the
distant end of each short radial to create four 53' bent  radials?  Or, I
should have a single wire that is attached to the  perimeter wire for a 146'
one-turn spiral radial?

I'm not completely limited to four wires, I could add more inside the box,
but four is the most XYL-friendly option.  Thanks in advance for your

Paul, K5AF