Topband: New entry to TopBand with antenna question

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Mon Sep 5 16:07:53 PDT 2011

Jim Brown wrote:
> That's a very ambitious objective.  It took me three seasons to do it
> when I moved from Chicago to CA,  and two more years to get the
> confirmations.  It's much easier from W9 than from W6, but it's still
> very ambitious.  I'm using an 86 ft Tee vertical (see below) with 70+
> radials, Beverages for four directions, and 1.5kW.

DXCC on 160 in two years from 9 land isn't an unreasonable goal.  Start
with one the 160 meter contests and that should start you off with about
40-60 if you look for the DX stations.  At the end of one year I had 135
with a 45 ft high inverted L (from Alabama).  However those weren't
confirmed in that length of time.  I have high power and a good
receiving antenna. It's tougher for the 6 land guys though.

Jerry, K4SAV