Topband: BCB interference on 160

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Sep 15 06:58:05 PDT 2011

The loop I built decades ago is made from 2 turns of 1" CATV hardline of 40"
diameter which is remotely tuned by a set of BCB diodes and feeds PP U-310
Fets. There has never been a problem of BCB or any other intermod even when
doing  BCB DXing.

Some loops have such poor Q that they are wide open to interference
problems. The hardline I chose has the lowest C per foot and therefore the
highest Q with the resultant narrow bandwidth and need to retune for even a
small QSY. The preamp is very helpful and is not run at high gain, just
enough to give a comfortable signal level.

Preamps can be unstable at any frequency and need attention to layout
detail, bypassing, properly sized inductors, etc.

Carl
KM1H