Topband: raised radials

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Dec 16 18:09:31 EST 2012

Charlie, you are so far off the wall Im not even going to bother with a long
detailed answer since it likely wont go thru.You dont have a clue what Im
trying to get across so why bother.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my 40M configurations, one version
wasnt up to expectations and the other was much better. By how much I dont
know since the difference was marked and not worth going further. This 1/2
wave working better with radials is nothing new and has been reported by
others and is used in some commercial antenna mobile installations on VHF
and up. What I called a dud by my standards is likely what you call a great
performer, it didnt crack pileups on the first few calls. With radials it
was better but not great. Maybe the angle was too low, anyway I dont like
waiting and search for the reasons why. Running super QRO is not in my
playbook.
The HB tuning network worked perfect either way and the only reason I
disconnected the radial ring was out of curiosity since fellow ham engineers
at work asked about it. Engineering requires curiosity as well as an
understanding. Im not one to blindly follow the Pied Piper. It is called
testing and verification, are you familiar with those concepts?

 The 4 el 40M yagi was installed since I wanted to work  ALL countries/zones
on the band as well as generate big contest scores. I wasnt satisfied with
an underperformer altho at times the radial version vertical halfwave was
pretty close (easily audible so maybe 3-4dB?) to the 4el on some rare
occassions. The KLM was an available product and I could afford it and the
tower dedicated to it, Im being condemned for that now?

Your comment of antennas on tall buildings further shows your inability to
seperate apples and oranges and stick to one subject..

All Ive read in this last rambling and ranting post of yours is from a
seriously disturbed old man ( Im a bit older) who might have a stroke if he
doesnt calm down and stop going on about something you apparently have
trouble reading much less understanding. If you dont understand something
ask for a clarification, dont just throw a grenade in the room.

I'll go one to one with you on antennas any day of the week but first you
need to understand how antennas work beyond your back yard. There was a long
discussion on here led by a known BC engineer who took a lot of flack from a
few who were being challenged. I enjoyed watching the constant dancing and
subject shifting smoke screens by the usual. Well written engineering books
give you the basics, I have had all of them for decades and reference them
often but a dedicated professor that took the time to explain troublesome
parts to any student was worth his weight in gold.

And you dont need to keep adding the groupie addresses since it does go thru
the reflector to everyone.

Carl
KM1H