Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Oct 2 19:22:33 EDT 2012

On 10/2/2012 12:43 PM, James Rodenkirch wrote:

> And, in my case, Don, I simply need to put up an antenna that's:

  a) more efficient than my vertical and b) fits within the confines

  of my property....having any noise cancelling or nulling is a plus

  but not as important as a and b (b being the huge limiter)

You might try something simple like a low dipole.  For me, it
usually beats a vertical, and is foolproof if you couple to it
with an RF transformer (not a transmit balun or common mode choke).
Doesn't have to be full size on 160.  Omnidirectional.  A good first RX
antenna.  Possibly could be a 40 meter or 80 meter cloud warmer
that happens to receive on 160 as well.

I am planning to put up 40 and 80 meter dipoles at right angles
at a height of 30 feet (five 30 foot pieces of 2 inch irrigation
pipe as supports).  It will work locals on 40 and 80 as a cloud
warmer and receive on 160 as a low dipole.  I have found that
a 30 foot high dipole is indistinguishable from a 60 foot high
dipole as a 160 meter receive antenna (these were full size
160 meter dipoles).

Rick N6RK