Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Aug 11 19:10:45 EDT 2014

I can only provide anecdotal evidence.

In July 1997 we did CY9AA and our 160m antenna turned out to be a 130' wire,
suspended by a large helium/mylar balloon.

We mounted the base in the rocks right at the waters edge on the
North/Northeast-ish edge of the smaller north Island of St. Paul.

Condx were incredible on top band.  We worked EU before sunset (unthinkable
from home here in VE9) and worked

many W6's late in the evening.  We got many comments that we were "just
about as loud as Jack VE1ZZ".he is also close to salt water, but has a
4-square on a hill. (also a real nice guy)

We were very pleased with 160m results.

As an afterthought...we had a Battlecreek special several hundred feet from
the waters edge on Sable sand the year previous and never really thought we
were loud on any band.

Mike VE9AA..ex cy0aa, cy9aa.etc.

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB