Topband: SP test - Awful condx

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Sun Dec 28 13:48:25 EST 2014

Hi all,

I think we had the worst prop of any SP test since I have been in ZL.
In the first darkness period (15z to 1650z there was not a single USA or
KH6 station audible.  Usually there are several left coasters on around
their sunrise.  Just 2 JAs, 3 VKs and 2 ZLs in that session.

Things improved slightly in the next period, from 08z onwards, and I
managed to put just a handful of USA in the log, but it was really hard
going, and I decided to throw in the towel at 0945z (Not prepared to
give up a night's sleep for that kind of misery!).  All signals were
down, and the weaker ones were just not audible.  An exception was Milt
N5IA, who was a genuine 599 when he replied to my call.  I did also
manage to work KV4FZ at 579, but only after about the 10th pass across
the band, and then calling Herb for nearly 10 minutes before he heard me.

Only 6 in the log in total, namely K7CA, WA7LNW, N5IA, W1AW/3, KV4FZ, W7RN.

Heard, but didn't even pause their CQ's for me, HS0ZIA, WD5R, N3QE,
K5MR, K0DI, N2KW, N5OT, K1LT, plus a few others.

I won't be putting an entry for this one!  (Lew if you want a check log,
I can forward it to you, for what it's worth)

73, Greg, ZL3IX