Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition

DALE LONG dale.long at prodigy.net
Tue Feb 25 15:17:50 EST 2014

Gentlemen:

 I have been reluctant to ask for help which did not relate directly to our reflector. But today I got up my courage, so here goes.  I have been invited to lead a group of amateurs to help build an AM tower in Haiti.

Two things that may relate to some of our readers:

1. I will be returning to Haiti in November to build a 240foot AM broadcast tower.  I know there are many AM broadcast engineers on this list and would like to have your advice.  Specifically we are searching for a large conical base insulator.  Sometimes when a tower rusts, they are disgarded or thrown on a pile somewhere.  We would like to buy one, and possibly a tower as well.

2. In December of this year, I am organizing a small group to go to Haiti and participate in the 160m contest. (this of course is dependent on the tower being built.)

I am particularly pleased that amateurs have been invited to help. Sometimes broadcast engineers do not have the highest opinions of amateur installations.  So we do want to do it right.  We have a 9-acre parcel of land along the ocean and part of the area is a salt-water marsh. I think there hasnt been any serious 160m activity from Haiti for a number of years.  This location would present a nice opportunity for a serious lowband operation.

If you have any information about base insulators/towers, or if you would like to join a 160m dxpedition to Haiti, please respond off the reflector to n3bna1 at gmail.com

Thanks for your time.

Dale - N3BNA