Topband: The "Future" Of Ham Radio

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:08:05 EST 2015

On 02/05/2015 09:45 AM, Wayne Kline wrote:

> I my self enjoy the HUNT....  the listening  on the other VFO trying to guess what and how he is operating.. Some  OP's are predictable  some it's a crap shoot.
>
> but that the FUN IMHO....  My  .02 and then  some

And folks will have that same challenge and fun with RHR or other remote
station provider.

Using a remote station, having the big hardware and right location in no
way guarantees an easy QSO. I consider myself a pretty good operator
using Wayne's techniques, and it still took over an hour to work K1N on
160 the first night. But the real clincher is that another nearby
operator, using an antenna with ~8 dB of gain over my shunt fed tower,
never did work them that first night.

In all of this anti-RHR discussion, you are forgetting the role of the
operator and skill.

73,
Steve, N2IC