Topband: JA's this morning on 160

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:19:13 EST 2015

I've been watching NOAA's new 5-graph solar wind chart on
www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/satellites . The sun has been very active
with little letup. Maybe that's the reason.

It took quite of bit of getting used to --and I'm still learning-- but that
5-graph chart is a really good indication of solar activity.  I'm beginning
to realize that chart was a real stroke of genius. Better than anything
I've ever seen, much better than that old 3-dial solar wind graphic, by
far. You have to watch and study it for a few weeks, and you'll see what I
mean.

When that "fuzz" (all those dots) turned into almost a straight line the
other day, the conditions on 80 meters really improved! Same for 20 meters.

Of course, what it might indicate --if anything-- about propagation on 160,
we'll have to watch and see.

Another useful "dashboard" is
www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts .

And notice the much-improved radio blackout info at the top of the pages.

Our tax dollars, well-spent, from what I've seen there so far. :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com