Topband: Polyphaser

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Mar 1 18:27:53 EST 2015

When I test things like that, I high pot them with a home made tester.
Things like this are not difficult to make. You can buy a surplus HV power
supply used to ionize air for a few bucks, and stick it in a box with a
meter on it.

You don't need to get fancy, just check it for breakdown voltage. If it is
bad, the breakdown voltage will be way off.

Ameritron gets about 5-10 customers a year where gas tubes in lightning
protection go bad. They break down early. The result of that is an amplifier
can get up to a few hundred watts or more, and then *wham* the feedline
shorts! This is always great on parts.

I don't have a single GDT in my TX system, although I've tried them in my RX
systems out in switch boxes near antennas. I have mixed results using low
voltage GDT devices to protect relays and stuff. I have no damage at all in
the house without them.

73 Tom