Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Mar 18 10:44:03 EDT 2015

A few comments about the recent discussion.

One question I saw posted was asking how many people actually use a
remote RX setup in the Stew.  I think the answer is about one (not
counting "pure" remote stations where all TXing and RXing is done in
the same place).  We had a ZL station ask if he could use his remote
RX configuration during the Stew.  After understanding his situation -
it seemed that it was good for the contest for there to be another
active station from ZL who could actually hear DX signals.  The
current limit of 100 km was designed to allow him to use his RX setup
and be totally within the rules.  A lesser man would have probably
just used it without asking.  This station has never won the contest -
but seems to be happy to make as many QSOs as he can and put smiles on
the people who are able to work him.

It's great to hear from people who are challenged with their small
lots and hear about what they can do.  It demonstrates that not all is
equal in this "game" - but we all can feel good about our
accomplishments at different levels.  I remember working WAS on 160
meters "back in the day" (mid 1970s) on a small lot at my parents
house.  It involved some creativity - and 30 gauge wire - but it was
one of my proudest achievements.

Probably the biggest take away for me from the discussion is that a
distinction should be made between these two cases:

1. A remote RX capability that is within a reasonable distance of your
TX site - and is the ONLY RX used.
2. A remote RX site that is within a reasonable distance of your TX
site - and it used in concert with your TX site's RX capability.

Based upon what I am hearing - there would be much less concern if we
limited things to #1.  I will propose making that rule change to the
Stew contest.  I am not aware of anyone actually doing this - but it
seems many people would sleep better at night if we put that
restriction into place.

Due to my current living situation - I was without a station during
the recent K1N operation.  I had several options on how to solve this
problem.

1. Try to work it from my current QTH (no antennas - strict CCRs -
lots of local noises from nearby houses)
2. Work it field day style from somewhere.
3. Use someone else's station.
4. Use a remote station.

For my own purposes - I chose a hybrid solution that "worked" for me.
I collaborated with a friend who wanted to load his tower on 160
meters and helped him get it working. This made if feel like the
station was somewhat "mine".  This station is in Oregon and about 70
km from my other three QTHs where I had done all of my previous 160
meter DXCC work from.  Instead of actually pestering him by being at
his QTH overnight - we setup a remote so I could dial into his station
and use it from my current home - some 250 km away.  I think it took
use about as long to get the remote working as it did the antenna!!  I
set my alarm for 1:30 AM local time on the second night of K1N's 160
operation.  I actually woke up at 1:29 AM on my own.  I turned off the
alarm and K1N was in the log on 160 meters some 4 minutes later.  It
took me 30 minutes to calm down enough to go back to bed.

I could have just changed in IP address and made this QSO from Florida
very easily - but it just feels better for me to keep my 160 meter
DXCC "Oregon-centric".  The DXCC rules would not have cared if I had
done it from Florida.  Perhaps I would have made a different choice if
it was the last night of the DX pedition and I had not worked them yet
on 160 meters.  However, at some point - it doesn't work for me.  I
worked 4X4NJ from W1 land once - but didn't bother getting a QSL card.
A year later - I finally worked Riki from Oregon (giving him his last
state).  It is one of my "must show" QSL cards when I display my
cards.

Hopefully - by next winter - I will be set up in a new QTH - either in
Oregon or perhaps Washington - and be back in the hunt for that next
country.  Hoping to put South Sandwich in the log - so I can say I
have all of the NA, SA and OC countries in the "shoe box".   Maybe
with some luck - I will gain a little ground on that pesky W7LR guy
who is a few countries ahead of me.

Tree N6TR/7
in not so boring Olympia, WA