Topband: Re. RFI - lots of it

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Mon Oct 26 14:35:19 EDT 2015

Jim,

If the noise is higher during a rain and quiets at least some while dry, that usually indicates insulator dirt or breakdown.  Have them replace it anyway.  If it has arced in the past it will be prone to arc in the future.
Noise will travel further the lower the frequency.  So, if you are not hearing it on 10 meters or VHF then the source is likely further away.
The other thing that can throw you off is that *nodes* of an arc noise increase will occur away from the source on a repeating basis giving a false sense of where the problem is.

If you have a directional antenna on VHF, you are more likely to be able to find the direction of the source as VHF antennas usually have a tighter beamwidth.  I have transverters for 2 and 432 with high gain yagi's where I can use the AM mode on my HF radio to listen.

Jim - KR9U