Topband: [TowerTalk] DXE RX Antenna Systems

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Dec 6 17:13:35 EST 2016

I did what you were thinking.  I love the 8 ele array.  I really works
even with a 100 ft diameter circle.  I wish I could go bigger but I just
don't have the space.    Something happened to my array controller so I
pulled out one of the old 4 sq boxes and used 4 elements with 70 ft
spacing.  It worked great in the 160 test.   I was using that spacing
coincidentally so I already had the phasing lines built for that spacing.

You would just need the 8 element array box and maybe the proper CC8 and
you are in business.

I missed not having an E/W choice.   Pretty important domestically from
Colorado.  I dont' think I missed working anyone because of it but it
does make a difference.

I was actually thinking about putting up an AY loop array inside the
Circle array but have not got around to asking if this would be a bad
idea.  My gut feeling says is.  This would put loop ends 25ft away which
I think is too close and would interact.

If you have the room for the largest 4 sq array I don't see any reason
you would need the other one for 80.  With the active elements I would
assume that interaction would be considerably less with nested 4 squares

Diversity is the way to go.   A number of people commented how doing
diversity eliminated almost all the fading.

I might just toss up a loop to EU and play with it some and maybe a bog.

I wish the DXE ava units were no so expensive or I might try to find a
way to install the other 4 squares in a way that would be horse proof in
the pastures.  I am not sure how much interest in the used market there
is for just the 4sq main phasing unit.

W0MU