Topband: low band propagation at solar min

Yuri Blanarovich k3bu at optimum.net
Sun Jun 5 23:06:49 EDT 2016

There appear to be different propagation patterns during various sunspot
cycles.

 From my article in CQ Magazine June 1980:
http://www.k3bu.us/propagation.htm

> It is known that with increased sunspot activity  the thickness of the
> atmosphere increases. (This caused Skylab to come down  prematurely).
> This also increases the height of the propagating layers and
> therefore increases the height and length of the "arches", it allows
> us to span  longer distances and extends propagation later into the
> night.

We have been told that during peaks of solar  activity the lower
frequency bands are very poor, mainly because of attenuation  of the D
layer of the ionosphere. On the contrary, the propagation on the low
bands has been better than what we experienced during the sunspot
minima. The  40m. band has longer openings to remote areas of the world.
Eighty meters is the  same; we are hearing Europeans around 6 p.m. local
time. During the 160m. CQ  Contest I was hearing G stations for about 8
hours during the night. It appears  again that the refracting layers are
higher, allowing us to work longer  distances with stronger signal
levels.

It appears then that with higher sunspot  activity, the average height
of the media increases, refraction of higher  frequencies improves,
allowing us to work further and increase the number of  useful
frequencies for communication.
<

Area under sunspot cycle count curve would be representative of the
amount of Sun's energy emission over the cycle. Cycles with high
activity would have "fatter" curve, representing more intense energy
hitting the Earth, atmosphere and ionosphere heights increase,
(atmosphere gases expand) and propagation layers increase height. The
result is that sunspot minima between "fat" more intense cycles are
different, they are shorter and with layers at higher altitudes. Minima
between or after low cycles are longer and layers are at lower heights,
changing propagation paths, shorter openings.

There is also hysteresis - flywheel effect where the effects are
shifted, delayed as we see in shift in Earth temperatures (coldest days
are not the shortest days, but shifted.)

To summarize, it appears that best top band propagation happens during
sunspot minima at high sunspot activity cycles. Other variables, layers,
absorption, Earth angles make top band propagation so unpredictable, but
there is a pattern to it. "You gotta be there when it happens!"

This has effect on weather patterns too, where low sunspot cycles cause
atmosphere (gas) to shrink, becomes more dense and weather patterns
change, hurricanes, tornadoes etc. Global whatever, not our SUVs.
I hope K9LA gives me credit for this explanation and record, unlike
denying my pointing out high angle propagation on top band.

73
Yuri Blanarovich, VE3BMV, K3BU.us
topbanding since 1958