Topband: DXE NCC-1 phasing box

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Sep 23 12:29:45 EDT 2016

Martin, its all about reputation and DX-Engineering has the best.  Back
in the 80's some periodicals were marketing the MaxCom baluns which
claimed that they would yield a 1.5 to 1 SWR from 1.8 to 30 Mhz but
refused to provide the details in schematic form. Many hams bought into
this scam and QST refused to run their ads. What HQ did was take an
X-ray of the unit and found inside some toaster heater wires sealed with
epoxy resin. All it turn out to be was a dummy load with wires attached
to the balun.  Anyone with knowledge would have known that the MaxCom
balun was junk even though the SWR response was, as they advertised,
relatively flat across the spectrum.  So your point is well taken except
that the reputation of DX-Engineering should remove all doubt that you
are buying a good product from  them.

Herb, KV4FZ