Topband: H40GC

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Tue Oct 17 09:00:51 EDT 2017

Congrats Gary!

I've worked H40GC twice now and he's good copy this morning an hour before local
SR. The antenna is a still-in-work inverted-L with a too sparse radial field and
no separate RX antenna.  Look at https://www.qrz.com/db/N7WS to see what I'm up
against re: radials.

Since early August I've been plagued with power line noise. The coop's sleuth
found the pole a month ago but getting a crew to come out while he was there was
difficult.  I was on the phone with him yesterday when they deengerized the line
to the water coop's booster pump and it went quiet!  They reworked everything on
the pole (three phase xfmrs) and turned it back on, again while I was on the
phone.  I can hear again.

Yesterday before my local SS I could copy 3C0L and heard him almost continually
until what must have been his SR.  The panadapter display looked like a 20-meter
contest.  But there are too many EUs and the whole USA between he and I, so no
joy.  On an empty band I could have worked him.

I heard they have a broken K3.   I just got my factory-built K3S back from
Elecraft for the fourth time and I fixed it once in between, so I know the drill.

Wes N7WS