Topband: FT8 - How it really works

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Dec 20 12:57:40 EST 2018

On 2018-12-20 11:45 AM, K4SAV wrote:
 > In the case of a crowded band it becomes obvious that CW is much
 > superior to decoding a weak signal because all those strong signals
 > limit the ability of FT8 to decode a weak signal.

That is only true if you leave AGC enabled and the strong signals
result in the AGC decreasing the overall sensitivity.  The WSJT-X
Users Guide (instructions) recommend turning off AGC.  It is
possible (depending on the transceiver design) to reduce the IF
bandwidth to remove some or all of the strong signals to reduce
overload and minimize the gain reduction by using the RF Gain
control to introduce the least gain reduction necessary to prevent
distortion.

On 160 meters, typical nighttime noise levels are as high as -90 to
-100 dBm.  Using the RF attenuator and/or RF gain to set the recovered
audio from that noise approximately 15 dB above the sound card noise
floor should provide sufficient dynamic range to decode the weakest
signal (~ 10 dB below the 200 Hz noise floor) while not distorting on
the strong (S9+40 dB) signals if one has a *quality* sound card.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV