Topband: FT8 - How it really works

K4SAV RadioXX at charter.net
Fri Dec 21 18:11:33 EST 2018

Yesterday I said  " I don't have a measurement with the results of that
showdown of CW versus FT8 in dead band conditions but the answer would
be interesting to know."

This afternoon I tried to get an answer to that.  I wanted to see if FT8
would decode a station I couldn't hear.  I wanted to find that happen
and then switch to narrow band CW and see if I could hear him. I first
went to 6 meters but there was nothing there.  Then I went to 160 and
nothing there. I waited until it was sunset in the northeast.  As soon
as that happens the band fills up with stations from that area.  It's
not dark here but the S meter immediately goes to S9 plus.

NEWS FLASH for those guys.  You can work stations at any time on 160.
You don't have to wait until dark.  High power, CW, and a good receiving
antenna is good for about 600-800 miles on 160 at noon. Low power should
also be good but at a little less distance.  Don't know what FT8 will do
to the distance.

All those stations were defeating my test to find a condition close to
that of a dead band and a weak signal or two.  So I switched to my
receiving antenna and pointed it west to reduce signal amplitudes and
still have some noise.

I can still hear a bunch of signals in there but FT8 isn't decoding
anything with the antenna pointed west.  There seems to be some high
level static when pointed west.  It's not noticeable on CW but it sounds
bad on USB.  Maybe that is causing FT8 to not decode anything.

So I consider this test pretty much unsuccessful.  If anyone else runs a
similar test please post the results.  I will try again.  I know this
isn't a top priority question for most people, but curiosity gets to me
sometimes.

Jerry, K4SAV