Topband: Capacity Hat Wire Size

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jan 2 19:19:24 EST 2018

Bruce,

I often use an 18 m Spiderpole with two loading wires,
sloping out from the tip at about 60 degrees. I use 18
gauge insulated wires and run 1500 W. I have not seen any
signs of overheating. Current is less through the top part
of the antenna so wire diameter is less critical (but the
voltages can be very high at the wire ends!). I would,
however, use thicker wire on the vertical part of the
antenna (AWG 12 or larger). Alternatively, use three or
four parallel wires on the vertical section (tied together
both at the bottom and top). Space them out around the
pole.

You can see a 43 foot version (being tested for the
upcoming KH1 expedition) at C6AGU, on QRZ.com. I have ran
1000 W on that antenna without issues.

73,

George