Topband: Capacity Hat Wire Size

Don Greenbaum don at aurumtel.com
Tue Jan 2 19:32:04 EST 2018

Bruce, and George is always loud where ever he goes!!!!

Don
N1DG

At 07:19 PM 1/2/2018, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
>Bruce, I often use an 18 m Spiderpole with two loading wires, sloping out
>from the tip at about 60 degrees. I use 18 gauge insulated wires and run
>1500 W. I have not seen any signs of overheating. Current is less through
>the top part of the antenna so wire diameter is less critical (but the
>voltages can be very high at the wire ends!). I would, however, use
>thicker wire on the vertical part of the antenna (AWG 12 or larger).
>Alternatively, use three or four parallel wires on the vertical section
>(tied together both at the bottom and top). Space them out around the
>pole. You can see a 43 foot version (being tested for the upcoming KH1
>expedition) at C6AGU, on QRZ.com. I have ran 1000 W on that antenna
>without issues. 73, George On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:31:48 -0600   Bruce
>Osterberg <n9bx73 at gmail.com> wrote: > Good Morning:\ > > To improve my 160
>vertical ... 26 Gage >wire for the capacity Hat.  > > Bruce N9BX 73 > >
>_________________ > Topband Reflector Archives
>- >http://www.contesting.com/_topband _________________ Topband Reflector
>Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband

N1DG--Licensed since 1962
www.goldtel.net
EX-WB2DND, A61AD (GUEST OP, QSL MGR), A52DG, C92DG, /KH4, /KH9, /BV, /VP8O,
/VS6, /4X, /9V
Webmaster: VP8O, K4M, BS7H, K5K, A52A, VK0IR, 9M0C, ZK1XXP, WB2DND/KH9,
BQ9P, ZL9CI
QSL Manager:  A61AD, A61AO, A61X, A61AQ, KH7Z
Member:  NCDXF, CWops, ARRL, DDXA, YCCC
2006 Inductee into the CQ DX Hall of Fame
Treasurer, NCDXF
DON GREENBAUM , DUXBURY, MA, USA